After several years working as a journalist and advertising copywriter, David Erskine completed a Bachelor of Education, majoring in drama, film and music. In his new role as Arts Educator, he taught in schools and tertiary institutions. Then one day, he acquiesced to the call of the itinerant performing artist and ran off with the circus. In 1981 he toured with Adelaide’s Magick Circus across Australia and then to Europe, honing skills in clown, mask, puppetry and magic. Based in Amsterdam they linked with a local troupe and toured Holland in traditional Strausburg circus wagons. Scotland was their next stop, with performances at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. In Italy and France, David worked with puppeteers and mask-theatre performers specialising in Commedia Dell' Arte.
On returning to Australia he established his own theatre company Fools Theatre and developed a repertoire of shows and wandering characters, performing at major festivals and schools throughout Australia and overseas.
In 1985, inspired artist Christine Backhouse joined Fools Company, and for the following five years teamed with David to produce several major touring theatre productions and wandering acts. Christine’s rare skills in puppet/mask making and script writing helped forge a unique visual style for the company during this period.
In 2003 David relocated to Berlin, undertaking performance touring, English teaching and theatre-arts education.
Now back in Australia, and with theatre still coursing through his veins, David continues to explore the art of storytelling through words, theatre and music.
* Adelaide Festival of Arts – “The Inspector General”, Gogol
* Adelaide Fringe Festival – many performances
* Sheridan Theatre - director, actor
* Patch Theatre, Adelaide - director, actor
* Araluen Arts Centre
* Alice Springs Gaol
* Edinburgh Fringe
* Melk Weg Amsterdam Festival
* Hong Kong International Arts Festival
* Wellington Festival, NZ
* Georgetown Penang, Malaysia – Sister City arts delegation
* Co-host ABC TV children show Couch Potato
* Platypus Bilingual Theatre, Berlin
* Theatre arts tutor, John F Kennedy International School, Berlin
* Anywhere Festival, Brisbane. Sunshine Coast, Noosa
* Philippe Genty (mask, puppetry)
* Nigel Jamieson (mask)
* Mario Gonzales (Commedia dell’ Arte, Paris)
* Jacques Lecoq (physical theatre, France)
* Adelaide Fringe Awards Judge for 7 years
* Noosa International Film Festival – Awards Judge since 2016
* Author – suspense-thriller novel “The Provenance Diary”
* Music Producer / Sound Designer